Monday, August 11, 2008

Our Family History

Part 5:Drew should Love Roller Coasters

We took a trip, 6 hours each way in between two car seats, a few days with family, a trip to the zoo and I spent the whole time throwing up and feeling horrible. By the time we got home I was just thrilled to be there, to be able to go to bed, in my bed. Days later when I still didn't feel well I started to get worried. I had been on birth control since Joe was born but I had gotten sick and missed a cycle, they did a pregnancy test which was negative, told me to quit taking the birth control and start a different kind after I had a cycle. We did use birth control in between, I swear but apparently within days of going off the pills I was pregnant. Not a big deal, we wanted more kids right; only one problem. At the time Joe was only 9 months old. From the moment we found out for sure, our lives and especially my emotions were a roller coaster. I begged Hubby in the doctors' office not to tell anyone yet, to give me awhile to adjust and he said we would talk about it later. He left the room while the doctor did some other things and by the time I got to the waiting room he had already called people. So I immediately had to listen to how stupid everyone thought I was, on top of having to deal with feeling stupid and overwhelmed. I was horribly sick, as usual and just an all around mess. I was scared and depressed. I had no idea how I was going to handle this. I spent most of my time pregnant rocking and crying. I scared Hubby, he sold all of his guns and hid all of the knives. He was convinced I was going to lose it. It was actually the easiest of all of my pregnancies but I am now convinced that was because I just didn't notice. I was out of it, pretty much. When I went to the doctor and she finally sent me to the hospital I was actually excited; for the first time. Excited to get this part over and figure out how I was going to survive this life I had created for myself. I was still only 21 and although more mature than most 21 year old's not at all prepared to have all of these kids. As was the pattern they induced me but all did not go as planned. The pains got intense fast and things were hectic and crazy. Somehow I was given and extra dose of Staydol and was completely messed up. I don't really remember anything about the actual birth and only bits and pieces from afterward. I was pretty out of it and most things were told to me later or I wouldn't know them. I can remember knowing that things weren't right, feeling that something was very wrong. I can remember Hubby and Mom looked worried. I can remember my little brother coming to visit and looking very scared. They weren't able to stop the bleeding and get my uterus to contract back up. They had everyone praying for me and when they were ready to put me on the table and do a hysterectomy, it finally stopped. Drew was born at a little after 8 that evening but I didn't make it to a room until after 12 that night. What I remember most is when I woke up. It was very early morning when I woke up and I could not remember a thing. Mom was gone and Hubby was sleeping so deep that I could not wake him up. I searched through the room until I found the little card they give you. I took it to the nursery, handed it to the nurse and said "I think I have a baby here." She looked at me like I was completely crazy and said "You think". Thankfully another nurse, who apparently was there for part of the chaos the night before, was standing there and told her I probably really wasn't sure. She took the card and brought me my son. He was so amazing, it felt so perfect when she put him in my arms. I leaned over and gave him that First Kiss, the first of many and I knew that everything was going to be alright. We were both alive and it didn't get any better than that.

Next:Drew should love Roller Coasters Pt.2

This post was submitted to a contest at Scribbit.

70 comments:

  1. wow, what an up and down experience--so many emotions there, and I like the way this ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... how scarey! I'm so glad you all made it though... I'm just picturing you coming up to the nurses saying "I think I have a baby here"... you poor thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a rough one for me to tell. Thanks for your uplifting words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How scary! I love first baby kisses - after all you'd been through this must have been even better than most . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story. I bet you are grateful that those two kids are so close in age! I have a brother that is just over a year younger than me and we are the closest out of all the siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Gracious!!! What a delivery!

    BTW Happy SITSta day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that was incredible!

    Why do people have to tell others what to do their reproductivity? I wonder what they get out of it.

    21 and 4 kids? Holy Moly... you are THE MAMA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love birth stories. I am glad yours had a happy ending too. (came via SITS)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, what a story!!! I'm so glad to know the ending was a good one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those babies are worth it aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a very powerful story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. It makes me want to go write down my birth stories...before I get old and forget it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You are right - that was a total emotional roller coaster.

    Glad you got through it OK!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what doesn't kill us, truly makes us stronger. What a wonderfully heartfelt recounting of that time in your life. I bet Drew has been smothered with kisses every since! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And doesn't the ending just make it all okay? It was a beautiful story with a perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I love heearingg about other people's birth experiences. It's such a nutty time in life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you came through that so well and that you didn't end up needing the hysterectomy.

    I can't believe you had three kids at 21. At least you were still young enough to have the energy needed for it. How young were you when you got married?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a ride! I'm glad that it all worked out and that you shared it with us. Beautifully written.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what an experience! I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, I am now 100% convinced that all those fairytale deliveries I've read are utter bull. I know none of my deliveries were not without extra "fun."

    I feel ya on so many levels with this. Man, reading this brought me back to finding out I was preggers with #3, (literally) as I fed my 13 month old twins in the kitchen. Loving your blog thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been there too. I've conceived on the pill as many others have and am glad yours worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The things we go through to have our babies. It is like a roller coaster isn't it! But they are worth it all and we do it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing the story of your son! I know how you feel because I got pregnant with my last baby when my 3rd was 10 months old and I was a whirlwind of emotions!! It was crazy, but I'm so thankful for it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad everything turned out happy in the end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!! It sounds like the perfect ending to an emotionally spent pregnancy. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a story! I'm glad all turned out well! Those babies are worth everything we go through for them, aren't they? ;) Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is some story! I am so happy for you that you did not need a hysterectomy and you ended up OK! Must be FUN having kids so close together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, what an intense story! I can only imagine being you at 21 with a nine month old, finding out that you were about to have another! And the labor sounds very scary and intense... You have me hooked, now I'll have to go search your blog for the other "parts" to this story...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now don't go and tell me that about your birth control. I don't need to know that... :)

    That had to be a scary time! My daughter is 21 months, and the thoughts of having another baby now terrify me. I cannot imagine having a 9 month old and finding out I'm expecting again. I'm glad for you that everything came out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a story! Maybe it was good they gave you a little too much staydol- it probably kept you calm when you being stressed could have just made it worse. I'm glad it all worked out and I'm sure the kids are glad they get to be so close in age. (even if it was hard on you at the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post! Great blog!

    Happy SITS day! Enjoy...

    :^) Anna

    ReplyDelete
  32. Having two so close has got to be hard, but then they can be friends--in theory. Mine are four years apart (8&4) they pay okay now, but it's bound to become less as they get older.

    ReplyDelete
  33. you deserve an award and a parade!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Finally, I get to post a comment! This screen hasn't come up on any other post. I loved all your posts. Amen to standing up for what your hubby does! And I love labor and delivery stories. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a story...I'm glad it ended with a healthy beautiful baby (and Mama).

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an amazing story! I enjoyed all of your posts. Like April, I was unable to leave comments on your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love everyone's baby stories. Sounds to me like all has worked out and you have this amazing life you have created for yourself with four wonderful children.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome story. Congrats on being featured today!!! I could not comment on your other 2 posts because I could not scroll down further than someone else's comment to get here. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow. Amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow. I cannot imagine! What a good story! I am stopping by from SITS. Congrats on being featured!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I can't even imagine what you went through. I had very rough pregnancies and deliveries as well, sorry you didn't have supportive friends and families around. *hugs* Glad it had such a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  42. WOW, now that's a pregnancy story. I think I would be a little out of it as well. But so glad that everything turned out ok. And look, now you have 4 beautiful children!!!!

    Happy SITS Day!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very cool...I love birth stories, because they're all so unique and entertaining. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What an amazing story. I'm glad everything turned out okay. I need to share my birth stories. Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow! What a scary birth experience. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a wonderful ending. I had similar experiences 1) when I had my twins and was sick with seizures from eclampsia and 2) when I got pregnant with my 5th child and my 4th was only 9 months old. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Awww...what an ordeal you went through. You're right, that first kiss does make it all go away. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a scary experience for you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. cute! congrats on being today's FB!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Somehow when those little people appear and you see them for the first time, Life shifts to make it all work. Even though "working" might mean "really hard"...I loved your description of the first kiss. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  51. What an up and down, for sure! Every birth story is soooo different from the next, right?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow, what an ordeal! I like how you come back to the simple truth of what really matters at the end of it all, trials really do bring a fresh perspective, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a blessing that everything worked out o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a touching and beautiful story... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  55. What a sweet story!!! I know what you mean though...when I got found out I was pregnant with my second, my first was only 8 months old! I freaked...but we managed. Now my second is about to be 9 months old...I made sure to not let this happen again!! I love kids, but don't think I could handle a 3rd right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow... giving birth is always an interesting experience, and it gets even better when it doesn't go as planned. I'm glad to hear things turned out well in the end at least!

    ReplyDelete
  57. What a crazy, yet beautiful story! I am so glad you shared this with us! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Your story is so dramatic and written well. I love the sweet ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Glad that everything worked out. I bet that was the second best "first kiss" you ever had.
    To make you feel better, my was 20 years old and I was 3 months old when she found out that she was pregnant with my sister. We are 11 months old and have always been very close. Growing up most people that didn't know us well thought we were twins.

    ReplyDelete
  60. *sniffle*

    Your writing, and the story, gave me chills in that good kind of into-a-story emotional way.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  61. I'm so glad you made it throught that - very scary!!! I do understand your emotions upon learning you were pregnant again, though...I too conceived a child (the third one), shortly after the second one was born - and yes, we DID use birth control. I was a bit older by then - 27 - but I devastated - wasn't sure how I was going to deal with life after that. But somehow things always seem to work out - don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  62. Sorry I'm late - couldn't find the posts yesterday!!

    Someday, I'll tell you about my kids. They are 10 months, 3 weeks apart. Talk about feeling stupid...!

    Glad all turned out well. Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Yikes, that was a scary moment!

    I babysat for my sister one night and she had a 5 week old and got pregnant that night. She ended up with 3 under 3.

    ReplyDelete
  64. That sounds really terrifying, yet it was a touching story. Nothing like that first kiss of new baby.

    ReplyDelete