Thursday, June 19, 2008

Audrey's missions trip: Day 1

Thursday 8:00 am
Audrey is on her way on a missions trip with a few of the youth from our church. It’s not like foreign missions, she’s not going out of the country or anything but still she is away. They are going to a camp where they do programs with kids who are separated from their parents; some have been taken from their parents, some have parents that are in prison, some have been abandoned, and the list goes on. It seems to be a great program and the retreat is a beautiful place but they are there to serve. They are going to do devotionals with the kids, help them with the activities that they are doing and help prepare their meals. I am so excited! Excited that she is interested in missions, excited that she is willing to help others but most of all (yes, I’m aware of how selfish this is going to sound as I am saying it) I’m excited for her to see the other side of life. Not all kids have cell phones, I pods, and every convenience available. Not all kids have annoying, nagging, loving parents who care about what they do and where they go. I hope she comes back with a new respect for the life that she has.

Thursday 2:30 pm
They made it there safe and overly excited and ready to go. I know by the end of the day she will be exhausted, especially since we were up until 2 am last night talking on the phone. She spent the night at mom’s house last night because they had to be at the church, which is 45 minutes from our house, at 6 am. I was not dragging my butt, let alone the boys out of bed at that hour. So when she couldn't’t sleep she called and we talked till almost 2. I’m a little nervous for her but as I said before mostly excited. The camp is, at this point in time, an all boy’s camp. They have different groups at different times but right now (of course while my 13 yr. old daughter is there) it is all boys. I’m not really nervous about that though, I know her leaders and there will be No chance of any “hooking up” of any kind. I just hope that she has a good time and is blessed.

Thursday 11:00 pm
Just talked to her before they laid down for the night. Today they just helped out some and prepared for tomorrow, that is when they will be with the actual kids. She is having a good time so far. Hopefully it will go good tomorrow when they do the services with the kids. We miss her. Matt even came up to me and said "Mom, I think I miss Audrey" I was amazed. She is pretty hard on the boys but they still miss her when she's not around.

No comments:

Post a Comment