Monday, May 12, 2008

So many shoes that I don't know what to do!

“What do other people do with their shoes?” Dear One asked, as he once again tripped over the shoes to get in the door. It was a legitimate question that deserved an answer but I didn’t have an answer. I don’t go through other peoples houses looking to see what they do with their shoes. A basket of shoes outside the front door, shoes piled up at the entrance, shoes in every closet; I don’t know what else to do with them. When you have a family of 6 living in the size house that we do, there are only so many places to hide things. We are not, by any means, shoe crazy people but with this many people, with just a few pair a piece, it becomes overwhelming. So I decided to ask what other people do with their shoes and waited for some miraculous answer. I can now safely tell Dear One the next time he is yelling as tripping over shoes, that we are no different from anyone else but that there are a few options. If he doesn’t want to trip over shoes as he comes through the door, we could move because apparently taking your shoes off at the door is a tradition that varies with where you live. If he wants to be sure there are no spiders in his shoes, we can store them in the big plastic totes. I can constantly remind him that it could be worse, I could be a shoe addict like many people are or I could have a foot fetish or I could leave them in the car all of the time. If all else fails though (and I must admit on some days this is my favorite choice) we can just get rid of the kids because they are the real culprits. So we will continue to do what every one else does and quickly hide the shoes when we know someone is coming.



This post was submitted to a contest at Scribbit.

3 comments:

  1. lol I love it Melanie. I am in the same boat and will be sure to pass it on to Adam. But we have a lot more girls in our house and we are all shoe addicts, so our problem is a lot worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Us too--I'm constantly telling the kids to pick up shoes and put them away, though there really isn't much of a place to put them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get funny experiences, too. We line up our shoes under an end table. Our new rabbit moves them out so she can sit under the table by the heater!

    ReplyDelete