Wednesday, September 24, 2008

#46: Get teeth fixed

I have a horrible history with dentists and I would rather do just about anything than go to one. When I was little the dentist that Mom took us to was horrible. He put a filling in the same tooth 11 times and it still wasn't right. When I finally had to go to the dentist years later because of my wisdom teeth, instead of cutting them out they decided to pull all of my back teeth because they weren't great anyway. Of course my wisdom teeth have still not all come in and the 2 that did weren't any good, they were hollow on the inside. One of the teeth they pulled got a dry socket and I didn't know what it was and tried to suffer through the pain. I finally went back and let the fix it but when I got pregnant the second time I ran into problems. Where I had let the dry socket go the nerve had unattached itself from the gum and attached itself to my cheek bone. As I swelled with the pregnancy it was putting pressure on that nerve plus I was grinding my teeth and putting more pressure on it. It was horrible. They gave me mouth guards and as much medicine as I could take while pregnant to get me through it. They literally wanted to slice my face open and cut out the nerve, I said NO and once I had the baby it went away and hasn't bothered me since. Glad I didn't let them cut my face open. So you can see why I have issues with dentists. I haven't been back in 10 years and hadn't had a cleaning since I was a little kid.

Fast forward to today. I posted the other day about my tooth problem and today I went to have it fixed. I had an appointment with a different place to get the rest of the work done but this place could take me in now. So I planned on getting the tooth pulled today and then going to this other place later and getting the rest of it done. In all honesty once I got the tooth pulled and the pain went away I probably would have canceled the other appointment. I really liked this dentist today though. She looked at my teeth and asked me if I wanted to get the rest of my teeth fixed. I was reluctant at first but she told me she could do the sedation dentistry. In other words they will knock me out, do all the work and when I wake up it will all be over. She said this reduces the chance of dry sockets too because you aren't aware enough to mess with the tooth and mess things up. So I figured what the heck, I'm going to bite the bullet and get it done.

They did all of the x-rays today and set up a plan. Since Insurance sucks they can't do everything at once. They will sedate me next Wednesday and do all of the major work; Pull the one tooth I just broke, cut out the wisdom tooth that wasn't any good and do 2 root canals and fix my 4 front teeth(they are thin). They will go back in January(once my insurance starts over for the new year) and do the rest of the work; Permanent crowns on the root canals and replace the rest of the fillings that aren't good(that the quack put in when I was little). So now I can't back out because the one tooth has to come out.

I also let them clean my teeth, can you believe it? Man does it feel weird. Hopefully I will not have a bad experience this time. Hopefully all will go well and by this time next year I will have good teeth, I may even get them straightened. Not sure I could handle braces but I may check into the Invisaligns.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment