Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Downtime

Okay so I have been without a computer for a month. It was definitely an eye-opener. It wasn't all that bad except for the nights that I couldn't sleep (but if you know me, you know that's a lot of nights). I did some reading and a lot of writing – with an actual pencil. I hadn't done much writing for years and I had forgotten how good it feels to just write things down on paper. Above all I was reminded of what I wanted to do with my life when I actually use to think about such things. I wanted to write and I think it's time to look into some classes. For now though I can just keep boring you guys. So now on to my "downtime" for the last month, this is just a small part of what I have written in that time.
July 16th
I am realizing how spoiled I am. I miss my computer so very much. I had no idea how much I used the computer-how much we all used it. We don't sit on it for long periods of time so it never seemed like much. Music, pictures, recipes and looking up every little thing we want to know. We can't charge our Ipods and we have nothing to do with the pictures that we take. I can't make my favorite soup and I can't pay a lot of my bills that were set up electronically. Mike can't check his Raymond points daily or keep up with his 401K and the list goes on and on. We depend on it for so many things. How will we make it? Hopefully my laptop doesn't take long to get here.
July 19th
Today I had to break down and go to the Library and pay my bills. I was worried about putting any information in there but it all worked out. Most of them had all of the information saved in my profile and the ones that didn't I got numbers to call and pay them. So no bank account information had to be put in. The wait for my laptop is killing me- I shouldn't have been so picky!!
July 20th
As if not having a computer weren't enough now we are also without a phone (once again some lovely person stole the lines). So we are completely cut off from the outside world. I'm not sure how people use to live like this, with no connection to other people, it could drive you crazy.
July 23rd
Yet another concession. We had to buy a charger for our Ipods. We couldn't make it another day without them (yeah right). The gadget is cool but it's just another thing that the computer could be doing. It will be one less thing to bog the computer down when we do get it – Ipods will only need to be connected to change or add content, Hooray!! I have to find a positive somewhere so just ignore me, Please!!
July 26th
I need a computer now!! I have had one crappy day and I know I'm not going to sleep anytime soon. All I have to do is thank about my crappy day and that is not a good thing. Some things are better left unthought-of. Guess it's time to try books and video games. How long must I suffer? (Insert violin music here)

July 30th
Shipping date on laptop postponed but if I cancel and reorder it may take even longer plus I can no longer get exactly the same thing. So I wait!!! For now I'm writing, I forgot how much I liked it, and reading a little and for those late nights when I can't sleep I am wearing out the video games!!
August 3rd
I can't even check the daggone movie times. What Is my world coming to?
August 8th
It's officially ridiculous. I can't get the laptop I want right now because they are severely back ordered, so they had to cancel my order and I ordered a desktop. I have actually gotten use to not having one, not that I want to stay without one. The only time it really sucks is on my sleepless nights. I figure as long as I'm up and going by the time the kids go back to school I will be good. I'm reading even more and that's great – I need to work my brain, I'm sure.
August 10th
It should be here anytime and I'm so excited. I wish I had given up on the laptop the first time they changed the ship date. The desktop shipped the next day, again that's what I get for trying to get what I want. I did go ahead and go wireless though. I can use it for so much more than just the laptop (cable phone, Play station, Nintendo DS's) and it will be ready when I finally get the laptop. After all I have been so deprived that I have to ease the pain somehow. So Internet overload it is!!!!!
August 13th
Still didn't come today. I know they said tomorrow but I was so hoping it would be earlier. It did hit me today how much work getting everything set up and fixed is going to be. The computer, the wireless system, reading my old hard drive, getting all of the pictures, music and data onto the new one, it is going to be a long process. I'm so excited to get to do it all though, I'm such a geek I know. Reading the old hard drive with the new device I bought is really going to be cool. Technology so rocks!!!!
Well it's all here and partially set up so far. I thought I would be setting here non-stop today but I found it hard to get anything done because I had other things I wanted to do. Now it's late and I have nothing else to do so I am finally getting caught up on some things. I'm glad to have all of the information at my fingertips again.

No comments:

Post a Comment