Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Switching Gears

I'm not sure what it is about Joseph's birthdays but for some reason his age hits me harder than any of the others. Although I'm sure Audrey's next one will be big (come February I will be the mother of a teenager). Jo hit double digits, the big 1-0, and I feel so old. My kids are growing up and that is as scary as it is awesome.
It's amazing how time gets away from you. I spent so many years pregnant and having kids and then the last 5 years just trying to enjoy them and guide them. Now we are hitting a whole new stage and that genuinely scares me. Learning to be a mom to babies at the age of 18 was tough but I just really grew up with them. Now I have to learn to be a mom to teenagers and I do believe that is going to be much harder. I've learned that a parent's main concern cannot be whether or not their kids like them. That gets you into big trouble. As they get older though that gets harder because they go from just thinking your mean for a few minutes to downright hating you for days. I just have to keep reminding myself that it will pay off in the future and that as long as I am there for them and do my best that they will remember that!! So ready or not future-here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment