Wednesday, March 5, 2008

How much or why? Which matters most?

If you're here very often then you know that I have been trying to read the Bible through in a year. I have been doing pretty good (not so good with keeping up with the ticker on my page though) but I think it's time to give up on that. I'm still going to work on reading my Bible all the way through I'm just not going to try to do it in a year. For the last two Sundays our Sunday school teacher has mentioned something in class and it is really lying heavy on my heart. He has made this example and it has really hit home; If two people give the same amount of an offering to the church and one is doing it out of duty and one because he loves God, who is going to get the most out of that offering? So if someone is reading 3 chapters out of the Bible a day out of duty and another getting in 5 versus a day but reading out of love for God, who will get the most out of reading? The first Sunday he said it I thought Okay but I am doing this out of love for God but then when he said it again the next Sunday I decided maybe I should think a little harder on it. I have come to this conclusion, Yes I am doing it out of love but if I am reading a set amount a day then I am not really listening to what God has for me. I am just getting done what I need to get done for that day and moving on. So no more set guidelines. I'm still working towards reading all the way through but at my own pace and if I want to skip over and read from somewhere else at times I will. I'm going to try to figure out how to keep some kind of a log for myself and that way I will know when I accomplish it. I think this is a good thing for all of us to do sometimes though. Just stop and think "Am I really doing this (whatever it is) for the right reason?" The why is definitely what matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment