Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fitness Honesty

I’m going to do something new, (“Again” they yawn). I’m going to be brutally honest with myself. I want this change to be a change for life and sometimes that seems impossible. It seems that maybe full disclosure is the only way to go. Sometimes it is sobering to take a step back and look at how things really are or were. One of the worst things for any woman is for someone to ask how much they weigh but I am going to tell you without you asking. I’m going to go through my timeline of weight and be completely honest about how much I have gained and where I want to end up.

When I got pregnant with Audrey I already thought I was overweight and I weighed a whopping 135 lbs. I lost down to about 123 lbs. because I was so sick with the pregnancy and then gained around 35 lbs. I lost about 10 lbs. in between my pregnancy with her and getting pregnant with Jo. With that pregnancy I gained about 25 lbs. and lost none afterwards. With the third pregnancy I gained 18 lbs. and lost none. I gained a little more in between having Drew and getting pregnant with Matt. While pregnant with Matt I only gained 1 lb. but I was already so overweight that I didn’t need to gain any. I lost quite a bit after having Matt because I was so sick (I’ll have to post that story at some point) but then had to have tests for the next 6 months that required having dye shot into me every 6 weeks. This caused me to gain 30 lbs. within a matter of weeks. So at this point I weighed right at 190 lbs. I knew I had gained a little and then when I got the pneumonia back in November the steroids made me gain even more. When they weighed me at the doctors office when I went for my check-up to see if I was getting better I weighed in at a truly whopping amount – 218 lbs. I literally about fell off of the scale when I saw that number. So there it is out in the open – from the time I was 17 until now I had gained a total of (I know you’ve been keeping track in your head) 95 lbs. Yes you read that number right. Now in all honesty I have no intention of ever being down to 123 again, that is not in my plan. My goal at this point is to be down to a size 12 and I figure that would mean weighing about 160 and that I needed to lose a total of 58 lbs. from where I started. So from now on you are going to get specific numbers from me. To heck with it, I figure, what can it hurt at this point? Plus seeing this in print and knowing exactly how huge I was is a major incentive to keep at this. The beginning of all future check-ins will look like this.
SW-(starting weight) 218
LW-(last weight) 186.2
CW-(current weight) 186.1
GW-(goal weight) 160

As you can see, I have now lost a total of 31.9 lbs. and to reach my initial goal I still need to lose 26.1 lbs. That initial goal may change; honestly I am just going to see how I feel as I get close. I am not at all concerned with being a skinny little thing, I only want to be healthy. Yes weight loss has to be part of that but it is not my main goal. There will be more to come, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment