Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Going Places

“Don’t you want to do something with your life?” I have been asked that question so many times in my life and it really frustrates me. Yes, I am a stay at home mom. I am devoted to my children and making sure that they become decent human beings. What makes others think that this limits me? Who gets to decide what determines if you are “Going Places” or not? I have a successful career, whether or not anyone chooses to agree with me. I could be stepping into a huge debate here, I know that. I am not even going to touch the subject of stay at home mom versus working mom. To each his own, everyone does what they have to and what they feel is right for them. Just because I choose to stay home with my children does not make my life worthless. I am not dumb actually I’m pretty smart. I am not lazy, actually strike that I can be but who isn’t at times. I do not watch soap operas or talk shows all day. I take my job seriously, very seriously. This is where I am going to step into a debate. I believe if a woman is a stay at home mom then that IS her job. My husband doesn’t do much of anything and I don’t think he should, he has his job too. He helps out when he knows that I really need him too and I expect no more of him. I try to make my kids do their part but not because I want to have less to do, I make them do it because they need to learn to be responsible for their selves. Making the kids do their part is a job in and of itself at times as any mom will tell you. I could sit here all day and list all of the different jobs that I do and do well, I might add. We’ve all seen the lists before and heard the stories of what a mom would earn if she got paid for her work. No I’m not jockeying for the top spot in my office, or working my way up the corporate ladder but I hold a very special spot for a lot of people. I am proud of where I am and where I’m going and I am going places. Who knows where my job as a mom will take me or who I will be the mother of someday. Plus I get to spend my summer days spending time with my kids and getting to know them better. So I’m going lots of places, How about you?

This post was entered into a contest at Scribbit.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you enjoy your job very much--your family is lucky to have someone like you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Methinks the corporate ladder is overrated. We moms know what's important.

    ReplyDelete