Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Our Family History

Part 8: The Misery that

brought me Matt

When I last left you I had started trying for baby #4 after giving my tailbone the 6 weeks they said it needed to heal and had made a wonderful deal with my husband to close up my baby-making factory. Of course, as my history should show, it didn't take me long to get pregnant. It took even less time for me to realize it was bad timing. Audrey was in Kindergarten when I found out I was pregnant and would be just a few months into 1st grade when I had him. My life was total chaos and I was in no shape to handle most of it. Yes, in 6 weeks your tailbone is healed enough to not really worry about lifting things or doing things you had to be careful about when it was healing. That did not mean it was ready for the changes or pressure of carrying a fetus. Not ready AT ALL!! I was very sick, as usual, for the first few months and as soon as that started to ease up the pain set in. I had trouble with my hip every time I got pregnant because I fell when I was pregnant with Audrey and dislocated it. Now on top of that I also couldn't set down because of my tailbone. There were very few positions that I was comfortable in and by the time I was ready to have him I was one miserable woman. On top of that I kept getting sick, they told me 3 times while I was pregnant with him that I had gastrointestinal flu(I will explain what was really wrong in a later post). My stomach hurt so bad most of the time that I couldn't feel the baby moving and they had to keep doing ultrasounds to make sure he was okay. It was tough but somehow we made it through, I was so glad though that this was the last time I would be doing this. I signed the paper for getting my tubal at my very first doctor's appointment. I knew he would not go through with doing his surgery and I wanted to be prepared, I wasn't taking any chances. When it was time to have him the doctor schedule my appointment to be induced. I went to see her the day before to make sure everything was going as planned and she said she wanted to "strip my membranes" now and that would make things go a little smoother tomorrow. I was scheduled to be at the hospital at 6 for my induction the next morning. At 3 in the morning I woke Hubby up and said "Let's go!". I had actually gone into full blown labor ON MY OWN. By the time we got to the hospital and got me checked in and settled I knew it wouldn't be long. They picked up a heart murmur on the monitor and were afraid that he was going to be born with something wrong with his heart. Mom immediately went and called to have everyone praying for us. The doctor checked me and told Hubby and Mom that I still had a little while but that it wouldn't be long BUT she didn't move. She stayed setting right there, that was not a good sign. Within a matter of just a few minutes and long before the drugs had time to kick in I was giving birth. He was born at just a few minutes after 6 (right when I should have been being induced) and was perfectly healthy. They could not find a single thing wrong with his heart and could not explain what had been showing up on the monitor just disappearing as soon as he was born - I could, it was God. The next day as they were wheeling me down the hall to surgery to do my tubal Mr.Perfectly Stubborn was still standing there saying "You aren't really going to do this are you?" No answer was needed just a look as they shut the doors. He must be crazy.

Next-Part 9:The makings of a tough year.

No comments:

Post a Comment