Thursday, October 16, 2008

If I could rearrange three things about my life.....

they would be.
1. My entire house. It is too small but that isn't the biggest problem. It is just not arranged in a way that makes it easy to keep things where they belong. I would change the closets and the storage in the bathroom and so many other things. All in time I guess though. This one is an easy fix with a little time and money.
2. My education. I loved learning, I had Honors classes in High School but then I got married at 16 and didn't finish 12th grade(long story). I got my GED with ease and tried to go on to college but it just didn't work out (I will have to tell this story soon). I love my kids but it would have been nice to get that college degree. This is another easy fix with a little time and a lot of money.
3. My place in it. As a wife and mommy it is so easy to lose yourself. To become more of a maid, chef, butler etc. than an actual member of the family. I'm not sure exactly how it happens but it would be nice to reorder my life in a way that I felt a little more important (no that's not the right word) loved. I know I am important to their lives but I need more than that. I need to be the kind of priority in their lives that they are in mine. I'm sure this is fixable, so if someone knows how to fix it - Let. Me. Know.

Great prompts again. I love how these things make me think about my life.

18 comments:

  1. This is so true! If only it were as simple as a snap of the fingers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally agree on the house thing. I have things stuffed in every corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on the priority that is mom! We are so much to everyone, but they take it all for granted. I wish there were a way to convey that now instead of having to wait for them to realize it when they grow up. Unless they never do - Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about #3...it's sometimes easy for the mommy to get lost in the mix...when in all honesty, we are what makes everything work--without us, things would crumble!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list!
    I am a renter.
    I wish that I were a home owner..

    A little time and money..is needed here too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss my house being military we move alot but we own a house in Ga and we had just started doing renovations to make it suit us better when we got orders to Germany dont get me wrong I love the traveling and the life style but every house since has been small and cramped and quite simply not ours to do with as we please. To bad we cant pack up our house and move it with us like everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean in your third answer. I'm sorry I don't know how to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your third thing is so extremely honest and please know that you are not alone. I think many of feel like we're just seen, but never heard? I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure what the right answer is here, in the last year, I've really made more of an effort to do things for AFRo and it makes me feel a little more human and a little less like I'm just an ordinary mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post-thought provoking....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have the parenting thing figured out exactly. I wish I could relate more to my 8 year old. He is pretty independent and doesn't always like his mom around playing with him. Not that the weather is cooler, I am trying to take him to the park more so we can have time together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all...YOU WERE MARRIED AT 16!?! Whoa!! Is that you current husband? Unbelievable.

    Sorry. I think most moms would find themselves nodding along to number three. I remember totally taking my own mom for granted...I guess it's my turn. I know in my heart of hearts they love and appreciate me. I guess all I can do is keep giving and hope someday they'll see it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm waiting to hear your stories! Sounds interesting! I found you through "My Ice Cream Diary"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well said. We need some mommie love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I hear ya with #3...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can relate to this list! I think moms lose themselves very easily. Each week I try to do something that I love, whethere it's painting, being creative or reading. Just to remember that I'm so much more than just a maid and cook!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sailing through from SITS! Happy SITS day to you!!! I so hear you on this post. I feel the same way and you put it into words perfectly! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can totally relate! Especially on number 3. That's one I really haven't figured out. Oh..and number 2 as well...some day I'd like to go back to get another degree but it seems everything I'm interested in pursuing there aren't degrees offered locally. So...even if I did have the money (which I don't) to go after the degree of my dreams I can't!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melanie,
    I am a SITsta and I appreciate & applaud your honesty in this post! AMAZING! You really put yourself out there and trust me, you are not alone in your feelings, desires, longings and goals. We all understand one aspect or another, of what you describe. Just be sure to carve out some time for JUST YOU... even if it is only 1 hour... do something for you and come back recharged and ready for a new day.
    BTW ~ If you haven't picked up a book called "The Shack", it is amazing! I highly recommend it.
    I will be back! :)

    ReplyDelete