Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Can I make a Cabbage Roll?

My first attempt at making Cabbage Rolls.

I only got 6 full leaves off of the head of cabbage but I think I learned some good things to do next time to get more. So I made the extra meat into "meat"balls and cooked them in with it. Other than that I think it was a complete success. I will do a few things different next time but I'm not too worried because this is how the pan looked at the end of the night.


How I made them
Parboil the head of cabbage for 6 minutes in salty water. (Next time I will do 4 or 5 minutes, take it out and get off the first few and then put it back in for a few more minutes. This made the leaves very easy to work with and a great consistency when they were done but I couldn't get enough leaves off easily with just doing the whole head for 6 minutes.)
Meat mixture
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. rice( I did the same as I do for stuffed peppers, I used Premium Minute Rice and did not precook it.Yes that's may lazy streak showing through. I actually do like the texture in the end better though doing it this way.)
3 T. of a can of tomato soup
3 T. of a can of diced tomatoes
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. brown sugar
1 package of Lipton Onion soup mix
     Mix together and split between 8 cabbage leaves. (I only came up with 6 good pieces so like I said I made the rest into "meat"balls) Roll the cabbage leaves around the meat creating a seam across the top
Sauce
Mix together the remainder of the tomato soup and the diced tomatoes. Put this in the pan first and then lay the cabbage rolls in it. (Next time I think I will use a can of tomato sauce too so that we will have more of the sauce.)




No comments:

Post a Comment