Monday, November 7, 2011

What can you learn from Mono?

A little over a month ago, on my birthday no less, I was diagnosed with Mono. This has got to be one of the worst things I have ever had but there are a few good things that came from it.
     1. The world will not end if I wear pajama pants to the store.
I am a staunch protester of going out in public in your pajama's or any other ill-advised outfits but I did it. Guess what? The world did not end. Actually no one even noticed. It will not be a habit though.
     2. You can NOT dry socks in the microwave.
My poor husband has been awesome through this whole thing but laundry wasn't really a priority for me during those first few weeks. So while trying to find a way to quickly dry his socks we all learned that putting them in the microwave will only catch them on fire. This is knowledge that will serve us well in the future.
     3. My children do know how to clean house.
After all these years of pretending that they couldn't do anything more than their bottom line chores, when the going got tough, they actually pitched in and did quite a bit of cleaning. This knowledge will serve me but not them well in the future.
     4.  As much as I think I would love to not have anything to do, it's just not true.
The first few weeks I didn't do much more than sleep and didn't really have a choice. The next few weeks were rough. I have watched every show and movie that I can stomach. As much as I love crocheting, there is a point where enough is enough. I found myself thinking "Is there not some errand that just can't wait?" and "I really just want to sweep the floors!". I'm feeling a lot better now but still have to be careful to not over do it and some days I just want to get up and clean my house from top to bottom. Most of the time my life is so busy that I don't have time to breathe. Through this I have learned that I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment