Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Fit (not necessarily) Thin

I don't do diets. I have never seen the point. You can look at me and see that. I have at times tried to lose weight but only by trying to be sensible not by dieting. Only once in my life have I been at a weight that I thought was good (at the time). I can look back now and see that I should have been happy at other times but I wasn't. This one time that I was satisfied, I was going to a weight loss group with Mom and got pregnant with Audrey. I was so sick the first few months that I got to my goal weight easily. Isn't that a joke? Seriously though I have gained about 10 lbs. with each kid and then a little extra after that so I easily need to lose 50 lbs.
My big concern though is with my health. While I was sick over the last few months it really made me realize that all I am doing is hurting myself. The doctor did a complete work-up on me because of all the different things that went wrong while they were treating me for the pneumonia and almost everything was good. Almost that is because even though my cholesterol was perfect and everything else was right on target my triglycerides were through the roof. She gave me a list of things to avoid and things to eat while at the same time saying that she had never seen results quite like that. That's comforting!!!
So I started researching and found that the list of fats she gave me to avoid probably wouldn't make a bit of difference. Sugar was my culprit!! Now if you know me at all, you know about my love affair with Coke and although I had pretty much given it up already I had just moved on to something just as sugary but without the caffeine. I continued to research and guess what (this was very painful to me) the biggest source of sugar in our "diets" is CARBS!!! Okay you can have my pop and my junk but my bread, that's just not fair. I am doing it though or at least trying.
I've been at this for almost 2 weeks and have debated whether or not to post about it on here but this is the conclusion I have come to. Yes there is a chance that I may fail and everyone will know it but if I don't hold myself accountable in anyway to anyone then I have no extra motivation to keep me going when I could care less if I'm really healthy or not. So here it goes!! I'm going to start posting about how I'm doing and what I'm doing to get there. If you don't want to know, that's fine. If you just want to be nosy, that's fine. I would really appreciate any feedback or encouragement though. I promise to try to keep you updated regularly and to do my best to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment