Saturday, March 1, 2008

Comfort above all else?

It's remarkable sometimes the things that people find comfort in. Maybe it's not so much comfort as familiarity but it is still noteworthy. We like for things to stay the same and even a change for the better can be fought off by the need to remain stable and constant. When I started this journey to get healthy I was amazed at how supportive Mike was, he had never been supportive before. Apparently it was coming from the fact that I was so sick because he is over it. He has returned to telling me that I don't need to lose weight and threatening to bring home foods that I love but shouldn't eat. He says I have lost enough, that I'm getting too skinny and its time to slow it down. I love that he finds me beautiful no matter what but we both know that I am still not anywhere near a healthy weight. I would love to just chalk it up to jealousy and move on. It would be easy because I have heard all of the classic lines like "I think you look great and that should be all that matters, who else are you worried about?" I can't blame it on that though because it's not just him. The kids have also joined in, especially Audrey. She gets really upset when I pass on something that is very unhealthy but that she knows I would love to eat. In some way they find comfort in the way things use to be and don't want to deal with things changing. They want me to go back to being lazy and living with a Coke in my hand. Where does this come from though? Are they afraid if one thing changes then everything will? I've never had trouble dealing with change and maybe that is why I don't understand this mindset but it truly confuses me. The kids will get over it this summer when they can do more because I can actually keep up with them, I'm not sure Mike will adjust though.

No comments:

Post a Comment