Friday, April 18, 2008

Sentimentality

Sometimes the things that have significant meaning in your life are in a way hidden. Some of the things that we can get sappy over are surprising and often we make sacrifices before knowing that we are.
Mike's dad is trying to "de-clutter" his house and wanted to replace the dining room table with a smaller one. This table means a lot to Mike so we went about a complicated process of swapping around tables in order to get the desired result. I was not at all prepared for how hard parting with my table would be though. I realize this sounds silly to most of you but this table has been a huge part of our lives. Every time someone would come here for the first time Mike would always tell his story about the table
"Do you know why I bought that table? Because I wanted more kids, so I bought the table and brought it in and when we set down at the table I pointed and said "Look there's an empty seat" and I knew she would just have to fill that seat."
And then I would of course add my part
"Yes, I had just broken my tailbone and I sent my husband out to get groceries and he came home with a new dining room table and who in the world would be thinking about getting their wife pregnant when she just broke her tailbone!"
And then we would both laugh about it. Of course I did fill that seat as soon as my tailbone healed, or actually before it completely healed (don't believe them when they say it will be healed in 6 weeks – it's a lie).
So like I said this table has been a huge part of our lives for quite some time. I still didn't think it would be this sad to see it go. After all it is just a table right? I would do anything to make this man that I love happy; sometimes I wonder what will be left of me in the end though. If I continue to give away my treasures to accommodate others what will I have left for others to cherish when I am gone? Yes, I know that I am over-thinking this whole ordeal and that it probably isn't so much about the table. Sometimes it just seems that sacrifice is a little too much of a sacrifice for me though

No comments:

Post a Comment