Saturday, May 24, 2008

From Honor to Failure

Thursday Audrey got inducted into the National Junior Honor Society and that night got an award for being first in her math class. We are very proud of her, she is an excellent student and a wonderful person (at least when she’s away from the confines of our home). Friday I had to go and talk to the principal of the boys’ school and make sure they weren’t going to fail Joseph. What a comparison that is! What really gets me is that I know that he has the potential to do as good, if not better, than she does in school. It is just so frustrating to sit back and watch him not even try. I cannot understand this attitude that he has, I cannot figure out where it comes from and it just makes no sense to me. I am hoping that if we send him on to Junior High that a lot of the problems will stay behind at the Elementary School. I am not saying that the school is completely to blame but a lot of the problems do stem from there. My son is being lazy but if you allow a 10 year old the freedom to be lazy what do you think they are going to do? He does not need to have that choice; he should be made to do the work and punished for not doing it. We haven’t been able to do what we would normally either because we can’t get them to tell us what he should be doing, what he is doing and what he isn’t doing. It has just been a mess of a year with him and I am so ready to move on to a new start. I am so tempted at this point to talk bad about his teacher but I am going to keep that to myself. It might make me feel better for a few minutes but it wouldn’t help the situation any, so I will bite my tongue. Here’s to hoping a clean slate and a little guidance is exactly what he needs.

Side Note - I'm always looking for information to help me with Joseph and I have found an article about a book that I am going to have to find and read. I will let you know what I think of it. You can see the article here and here is a link to the information about the book. It may just be more crap but most of the time you have to read a lot of crap to find the few gems out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment