Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Relaxin' at the Laundromat

I live in an area that still doesn't have city water, although it is currently being put in (I actually saw them working on it this morning) but I digress, so at times we get low on water. Not enough rain = me having to drag clothes for 6 people to the laundromat. Trust me this is not an easy task but when I was telling someone that I had gone their comment was"Well it must be nice to get to go there and just sit around waiting on your clothes and not have to be home working on things" Say what?

6:30 - Back from putting first round of kids on the bus. Starting sorting through clothes and put them in the baskets
7:30 - Get the other kids up, get them ready. Finish getting clothes
together.
8:10- Load clothes in truck.
8:15- Put kids on bus and head to laundromat.
9:1o - Carry in clothes and load them in washers.
9:40 to 9:55 - Rest
9:55 to 10:15-Switch clothes to dryers as they finish.
10:15 to 10:25- Rest
10:25 to 10:45-Continuously check dryers and add change
10:45 to 11:15-Get out dry clothes and fold them.
11:15- Give up on all clothes getting dry and just throw the rest of them in baskets.
11:25-11:45 - Load all clothes back in truck, figuring out how to get them all in the front because it has started raining.

Then spend the evening and half of the next day drying, sorting, folding, hanging and putting up clothes. So you can see it doesn't exactly make for a stress-free day of relaxing. Plus the cost of washing the clothes was staggering. I had to load 2 giant washers and 6 triple loaders which cost $27 and then 11 dryers that I ended up putting $14 dollars in. It definately wouldn't take many of those trips to pay for a washer and dryer. That is just crazy. I so can't wait until they get the city water finished and I no longer have to worry about this anymore.

17 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about this being no fun ... we did this back in the summer on our camping trip (because I hate coming home with loads of dirty laundry), shewwwww it is expensive for sure.

    Love your blog!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, I've done the laundermat, both for a long time before I had a machine and when mine broke down quite a few years ago. It's no picnic! You've just reminded me why I should be grateful for my washer and dryer right now. I can't catch up with laundry normally, I'd NEVER catch up having to use a laundermat. I guess I should stop whining! BAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain! I have 4 kids also. I could not imagine having to lug it all to the laundry mat! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain seriously but I have a confession... I like to go to the laundromat, sometimes I go just to catch up on all my laundry! I know strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey SITSta...popping in to say hi!

    HA! Relaxin at the laundromat!! My hubby would say something like that- when I leave to go to the supermarket he always says, "Have fun!" Like food shopping is the same as shoe shopping!!

    That sure is expensive to go to the laundromat!! Some laundromat's in my neck of the woods (Boston) offer free dryers when you use the washers...you may wanna check and see if any of yours do as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, lazy! I bet you sit around all day eating Bon Bons and watching soap operas!

    *In case you couldn't tell, there is a *hint* of sarcasm in my comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so remember the times at the laundromats always when we are moving. No thanks. I love my washer and dryer and I hope you have your city water soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious...you don't have a well?

    I certainly remember going to the laundromat with my mom when we thought we didn't have water (we did...pump wasn't working). Some very loooooong boring hours were spent there. We ended up drying our clothes at home instead of at the laundromat. Would that help you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember those days of lugging laundry. No fun! I'll be praying you for your water situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isnt it amazing the things that people say to others, without realizing their impact? Like you could possibly jsut be sitting around eating bonbons while at the laundromat.

    I am scared of laundromats. But my life is ruled by laundry, so I totally get the stress

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well HOWDIE Miss Featured Blogger. God bless ya for going to the laundromat for 6 people. Yowza. I have had to go for my 5 people a couple of times in my life-time and it's not fun. It's expensive, it's a nightmare, and truly not something I would ever want to do again. But you go girl!
    Lovin' that you're a Christian Mama and I will definitely be back to visit. You'll be on my Blogger-Reader. Happy Wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a flippin' fun day you had, huh? Poor thing. I think maybe that person was being facetious. Hopefully anyway,. Who can relax with 4 kids!? Anyway, hopefully you will have city water before you know it. $41. a pop aint cheap! Sheesh!
    hugs,
    Tammy (SITS)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear ya on this. I always hated it when I lived in an apt where I had to use the laundry mat. It's a hassle. It's just so much easier to have a washer & dryer at home (that you can use too) to be abe to throw in a load of laundry and then go to doing something else. For instance, I was up at 4am this morning and decided to throw in a load of clothes before I went to bed. Go to sleep and then just throw it in the dryer when you get up. If I was at the laundry mat, I wouldn't have been sleeping. Anyway...I feel your pain on that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading your blog and love there is someone out there with as many kids as me! I am not crazy! I nominated you for an award over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Time sitting doin' nothin at the laundromat is SOOO hard for me. I had to do it when we were first married and I wanted to die! I mean, HELLO, like sitting doing nothing on a plane isn't enough. Ours wasn't a "lack of water" issue it was a lack of a washer issue. So after 6 weeks of that silliness I went to Sears and bought my washer. Ahhhhh....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel your laundry pain Melanie! The other day my washer stopped agitating... it will do everything else though! Anyway, I too was in laundry mat land. All the spinning is kind of mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to do media relations for a water utility so I loved hearing you talk about well water and your excitement for city water!

    ReplyDelete