Thursday, June 14, 2007

Give a Mom a break? Please!

First let me start with a disclaimer. I would do anything to make my kids happy and to help them do well in life. That said:
When does Mom get a break? Our lives are so busy anymore that it seems there is no time left to just have fun. When we were young that was what the summer was for but now that is even pretty much gone. Baseball won't be over until tomorrow, Audrey started Summer Volleyball practices yesterday and Matthew brought home a huge pack of summer work (so that he doesn't forget what he learned in preschool before he gets to Kindergarten). Don't get me wrong all of these things are great and they do help the kids out but where did Summer Vacation go? Do we put too much pressure on our kids? Do they ever get a chance to just be kids? Then we wonder why kids grow up so fast now. I know, I know. I'm going to get a lot of complaints about this one but its true. We want them to be able to do all the things their friends do and we want them to be good at everything and we want them to have a great future but at what cost. Our retirement age is so high already now and you know it will be higher by the time they get there (if they have one at all) so why not let them just have a childhood and worry about all of these things in the future.
I can't change the world and I know if I want my kids to do well at the things that they love that they need any edge they can get but it just seems to me that we learned so much about life from just hanging out during the summers. Is there a lesson that they are missing? Will they know how to just have fun with their families when they have them? Do they know that Mom loves them just because she does, even if they aren't doing something "spectacular"? Do they realize that Mom can just chill and be fun at times too? We have to spend so much time making sure that they do what they need to do and that they get to where they need to go that I think just maybe they are missing out on a few valuable lessons!!
Update: Audrey went for her check up for her knee and they think that it is going to heal itself. It is doing really good and she is starting to build it back up slowly now after NO use for 6 wks. Don't have to go back for a year unless it gets bad again. Praise the Lord!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment