Saturday, January 19, 2008

Student Assistance Team---Really?

We got a letter in the mail last week saying that there was going to be a meeting about Joseph at the school. A meeting of the SAT (student assistance team) because his test scores (WEST test) and school grades showed a discrepancy. So here I am thinking great, finally somebody is going to straighten this situation out. Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those parents that think her kids can do no wrong. I know that Jo is lazy and that he just flat out isn't doing his work. If no one at the school, however, will hold him responsible for the work or cooperate with me to let me know what he isn't doing then seriously what can be expected. I can't hold him responsible if I can't keep up with what he's doing and if you leave a kid that age the choice of doing or not doing work – what do you think they will choose? So I'm excited and ready for a change.
Then we show up at the school and with in just a few minutes I know that this is going to be a disappointment. There are NO strangers around anywhere, first bad sign. Then other parents start showing up and saying are you here for a meeting too? Second bad sign. The first parent gets to start her meeting and I am now extremely upset. It's just the teacher (that won't hold them responsible) and the principal (who I've already had this discussion with more than once). That is their SAT, Please!!!!! I am now completely disappointed.
They show us all the work he hasn't done and tell us how close he is to failing etc. etc. They bring him in and tell him and make sure that he knows that we now know that he isn't doing the work. I'm thinking yeah that's all great but how do we turn this thing around. Then for the first time since she's been there I am pleased with the principal and see where she was going with this whole meeting from the start. She wanted us all to be in the same room at the same time, that way when someone says they will do something it is more likely to actually happen. So I actually walked away pleased!!!!! I couldn't believe it. From now on if Jo doesn't finish a paper instead of hounding him about it the teacher will take it to the office and they will mail it home. By next week they should have Edline up and running. The middle school already has this and it is great. The teachers have to put all the grades into the computer, the parents get a code and they can go online and see all of the grades and assignments anytime that they want. Plus I am now more than welcome to show up anytime I want to and check on how he is doing, the teacher will call home anytime Jo gets really off focus and we even have permission to call him at home anytime we have a question or concern. Now hopefully we can get him through this year, out of this school and on with his life!!! Hooray!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment